Pages

October 6, 2008

Pecan Crusted Cod - Culinarty Round-Up


Pacific cod caught by trawl or Atlantic cod



Pacific cod caught by longline


The first time I prepared basil pesto was also the last, because it is not my cup of tea.
However today I used loads of basil in our lunch and I was totally surprised how tasty it was, so I might give that basil pesto another try somewhen. Like most of the time, I did not have a clear idea what and how to prepare, I only knew which ingredients I am going to use: beautiful cod fish fillets, white polenta, and I wanted to use nuts. I loved the combination of pecorino with the polenta last time and I decided to prepare something similar now. Back to the nuts: I grabbed a handful of pecans, breadcrumbs, a shallot, some lemon juice and the crust for the fish was ready. While stirring the polenta for about an hour I had the idea to fry it in olive oil with a twig rosemary. And the pecorino sauce? Well it turned to be a basil foam at the end, that was so delicious, even my friend, who only eats fish with a lot of mayonnaise, did not even touch the tube! So it seems finally I can get rid of that tube, not to mention that this was the biggest compliment I could receive for this lunch!


Ingredients:
2 cod fillets
salt, pepper
600 ml chicken stock
125 g white polenta
1 rosemary twig

1 handful of pecans
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 tablespoons breadcrumbs

2 tablespoon olive oil
2 shallots
50 g pecorino
100 ml sherry
150 ml chicken stock
50 ml heavy cream
10-15 basil leaves


Cook chicken stock and add polenta, cook for 40 minutes, while stirring constantly on lowest heat, pour it on baking paper and let it cool. Slice and fry in olive oil with rosemary. Heat oilve oil, add grated shallot, breadcrumbs, mustard and chopped pecans. Salt and pepper fish and smear crust on top. Sprinkle lemon juice over the crust and optionally add some flakes of butter on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes on 180°C. Heat olive oil, add chopped shallot, sherry and stock, reduce, sieve, stir in heavy cream, grated pecorino and cook some more minutes together with the basil leaves and with a help of a mixer whisk so that it gets foamy.

I am sending this recipe to Lore for her monthly event Original recipe.


10 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That cod looks beautiful and extremely good! A wonderful dish! Like at the restaurant...

Cheers,

Rosa

Houdini said...

I guess the crumbs would go with any other fish as well, thanks.

Unknown said...

I can easily see why this recipe received so many compliments. The many textures and flavors definitely set it apart :). We would love to feature your recipe on our blog and the first and only digital recipe reader! Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

very nice recipe ! did you rub in the cod with the dijon mustard ? the usage of the mustard is not clear to me.

chriesi said...

@lamiacucina: the mustard is mixed with the breadcrumbs and the rest of the crust ingredients :)

Marysol said...

Oh Chriesi, I love nutty coatings on fish, and this dish looks so delectable!
Not to mention, anything with basil always gets my vote.

Lore said...

This looks absolutely mouthwatering! No mayo for me either ;)
Thanks for sharing it with the Original Recipes Round-up!

Laura Paterson said...

Looks absolutely beautiful! Unusual too - a wonderful original recipe!

bekah6 said...

Would it work with walnuts?

chriesi said...

Of course!

Related Posts with Thumbnails