Pages

November 2, 2010

Carrot Soup with Coriander

It took me years to learn to appreciate soups. Meanwhile I not only love to cook, but also to eat it, especially during these cold days. When I was a child every Sunday we had a rich bouillon, with lot of vegetables and meat. I remember my dad always left a lot of soup in the plate, he only liked to eat the pasta and carrots in there, and still he does today. And I must say, I was also not better than him, in fact worse. I never wanted to eat that soup fresh, but after it was a few days old, I couldn't get enough of it. I loved it a lot with cooked rice, yeah that might sound strange, but that was my favourite way to eat it. Every week I cook at least twice a soup, mostly for dinner during autumn and winter. Last Friday it was time to check what's left in the fridge and I found some coriander roots, lemongrass and these inspired me to prepare a carrot soup. It is a complete improvisation, but now I was clever enough to write it down, so that I can share it. The soup was served with some fresh coriander leaves and caramlised yellow carrot.

Ingredients:
500 g carrots
1 small potato
5 coriander roots
2 stalks of lemongrass
1 chili
1 onion
1 clove garlic
1 piece of cassia or cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 knob of butter
900 ml chicken or vegetable stock
juice of 1/2 a lemon
salt, pepper


Peel carrots, potato, onion and garlic and cut in slices. Melt butter and sautee vegetables for about 10 minute together with chopped coriander roots, halved chili, cinnamon and garam masala. Pour stock over it and cook for 20 minutes. Set some of the liquid aside and puree the rest in a mixer. If it is too thick add some of the liquid. Put it back on the stove, season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.

4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delightful and warming soup! perfectly spicy.

Cheers,

Rosa

Faith said...

Your carrot soup looks delicious! The flavor of garam masala is a nice addition!

Anonymous said...

Deine Fotos sind publikationsreif.

chriesi said...

@Rosa: Oh yes, it is indeed spicy.

@Faith: Thanks.

@lamiacucina: Oh danke schön! *rotwird*

Related Posts with Thumbnails