Pages

January 12, 2009

Hungarian Carnival Doughnuts

When I was a child I did not only enjoy carnival because I was allowed to dress up but mostly because of the carnival doughnuts. No carnival ball is imaginable without these pastries! Yesterday afternoon I was pretty eager to eat some, but the store bought doughnuts are too sweet and simply can not keep up with the home made ones. I decided to prepare some myself, but when I read the recipe I thought that these are so complicated and take such a long time. However the lust was stronger, so I went to the kitchen and started. It was not that complicated at all and the result is totally yummy! The main thing you have to consider is that all ingredients must have room temperature.


Ingredients:
500 g flour
20 g fresh yeast
50 g powder sugar

50 g butter
2 egg yolks

2 tablespoon rum
1 pinch of salt
about 300 ml milk
about 1 liter oil for frying


Heat 300 ml milk until lukewarm and pour it over the yeast, 3 tablespoons flour and 1 tablespoon powder sugar. Let it stand until yeast swims on top. Whisk egg yolks with the rest of the sugar and add it to the yeast mixture. Add the rest of the flour and the lukewarm melted butter to it and knead until you get a soft dough. Now take a wooden spoon
and beat the dough for 20 minutes, or let your kitchen machine do the job. Leave dough on a warm place until it doubles its size. Flour a working surface and spread dough with your hands so that it is about 1 finger thick and cut circles with a help of a glass. Cover and let it stand for 30 minutes. Heat oil and fry doughnuts from both sides until light brown. Serve with powder sugar and apricot jam.

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, they look delightful! I love doughnuts!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

I am sure it is delightful, but I was wondering what you do with the butter. It doesn't say anywhere in your recipe what to do with it. Does it go into the dough? And when?

chriesi said...

Ah sorry for the mistake! I have just corrected it. The butter should be melted, and then you knead it in together with the rest of the flour.

Related Posts with Thumbnails