Pages

August 4, 2011

1. Auguscht Brötli

As you might know, I am pretty bad in bread baking, but I keep on working on it. The Hungarian National Day celebrated on the 20th of August, is also the day when the new bread is blessed. Therefore, I decided to bake a bread for this day, and until then I wanted to practice. The 1st of August is the Swiss National Day, that has its traditional bun roll, the so called 1. Auguscht Brötli. This year I baked some myself, so I had the first great opportunity for practicing. In fact, these buns do not have a long tradition, the first ones were baked in 1959, nowdays you even find some with chocolate. According to a bakery in Zürich, there is absolutely no difference between a regular bun roll and the National Day buns, except the shape. Two other bakeries in Canton Glarus and Obwalden say, that actually these buns are the replacement for the traditional Butterzopf, but it has less yeast in it, and a lot more butter than a usual bun roll. By the way, butter is the most important ingreident. In the original recipe there is also malt and dried leaven in it, but I did not have these at home, so I baked my buns without.



Ingredients:
300 g unbleached pastry flour (Typ 405)
200 g unbleached all-purpose flour (Typ 550)
21 g fresh yeast
65 g melted butter
250 ml milk + for brushing
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 200°C. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm milk. Mix together the sifted flour with salt, then prepare a mold into the middle, add melted butter, yeast-milk and the egg. Knead a smooth dough and knead it for about 10 minute. Let it stand for 30 minutes on room temperature, then put it to the fridge for 15 minutes. Cut it in 6-8 equal portions and roll buns. Brush the top with milk and cut the top in a cross shape. Bake for 20-30 minutes.


3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love those breads! They also make perfect burger buns...

A lovely recipe!

Cheers,

Rosa

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Thanks for the link! :-)

chriesi said...

Great idea with the burger buns! :) Welcome! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails