Pages

April 30, 2012

Lilac Jelly

Could you imagine anything more delightful on a rainy autumn afternoon, then a freshly baked scone with butter and a fragant jelly that brings back those gorgeous spring days? I simply adore lilac! It is one of my favoruite flowers, among poppy. Both remind me of my childhood and bring back beautiful memories of the days we used to spend in the nature with my family. The fragrance of lila takes me always back to the those days. Some years ago I already made lilac syrup and "jam", now this time I am here with the jelly. It has a beautiful frangrance and taste, however it has lots its colour, because I had to cook it twice. First I used some kind of sugar mixture with gelling agent, but the next day it still was liquid, so in order to save it, if possible, I had to cook it again. Nevertheless, the taste compensate the loss of colour!




Ingredients:
100 g lilac petals
500 ml water
juice of 1 lemon
300 g sugar
30 g agar-agar or pectin

Pour boiling water over the lilac petals, then add the juice of the lemon and let it stand for an hour. Sieve, add sugar and pectin and cook it for about 5 minutes. Fill in jars and enjoy a spoon of spring as soon as it set.

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Marvelous! I'd love to try that jelly.

Cheers,

Rosa

seantimberlake said...

I'm the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), a community site for those of use obsessed with, er, interested in DIY food. It's sort of like Tastespotting, but specific to the niche. I'd love for you to submit this to the site. Good stuff!

Anna K. said...

Where do you get the lilac petals? Do you just pick them from your yard?? Do you have to separate them from the stems?

chriesi said...

Yeah, you have to separate from the stems, because you only use the petals. I have some growing in front of our house, but these are from a nearby forest glade.

Anonymous said...

So I tried this recipe and I have a few amendments to propose.
First of all, the petals should have soaked for half the time at most, since mine turned out very bitter. Second, it would be helpful to have a heat level specified so that you won't burn the pectin mixture. Either way, this turned out pretty nicely.

Related Posts with Thumbnails