Pages

August 2, 2010

The tiny snail and the swiss chard sauce

Last week, I visited an old neighbour of mine and she gave me a bunch of fresh swiss chard right from her garden. The next day I planned to prepare fish, though the whole week I had no idea what vegetable I should include in the dish. Therefore I was more than happy about the swiss chard.


I love to improvise in the kitchen, and it seems, that my favourite main ingredient for that is fish, usually sea bass (from breed, according to the WWF list that is recommendable). I decided to use the green and white parts of the chard separately. So from the white parts I cooked a puree together with spring onion heads and a touch of mustard. The green parts ended up as a sauce and the whole dish was served among some fried king
trumpet mushroom and caramelised spring onion.


Ingredients:
100 g swiss chard leaves
25 g butter
125 g vegetable stock
salt, pepper

Slice swiss chard leaves, melt a teaspoon butter and sweat over low heat for 3 minutes while stirring. Add vegetable stock and cook for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and let it stand for another 5 minutes and blend. Pass it through a sieve and reheat until it starts bubbling, then take off the heat and whisk in the rest of the butter. Season with salt and pepper.

4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A fabulous dish! So prettily plated.

the snail is cute.

Cheers,

Rosa

Houdini said...

Our chard has unfortunately not grown as expected, not yet, but we love chard dishes, and have not given up all hope.

Anonymous said...

schöne Mangold-Schaumsauce, ohne weitere Zutaten !

chriesi said...

@Rosa: I only wish, I wouldn't need artifical light, but without it is much too dark.

@Houdini: That's bad, but who knows, maybe it is gonna recover.

@lamiacucina: mängisch isch weniger meh

Related Posts with Thumbnails