Pages

March 16, 2011

Coconut Black Rice Pudding with Caramelised Pineapple

Well, I am not so much a rice pudding fan, frankly, I haven't had any since I was 12 years old or so. On the other side I love the so called tejbegríz, that is in milk cooked wheat groat and is totally yummy with loads of cinnamon sugar. I thought it is time to give rice pudding a new chance so I decided to cook black rice pudding with coconut milk. To make the whole thing a bit more exciting, I have added some spices like cardamom, star anise and vanilla. The cooking takes quite a long time, but you do not have to stir it too often, so it is not a big deal. I served it with caramelised pineapple scented with rum. By the way, have you noticed that often the bottom of the pineapple is having mold? Lately, I either bought totally unripe ones or the rest was with mold. Therefore this time I went for a baby pineapple, that was perfectly piquant, and not at all "extra sweet" as written.


Ingredients:
150 g black rice
600-650 ml water
100 g cane sugar
200 ml coconut milk + extra for serving
2-3 cardamom pods
1 star anise
1 vanilla pod


Clean rice under running water and cook it in the water over low heat with a pinch of salt for 60-70 minutes. You can also soak the rice for at least 3 hours then it might take about 20 minutes less cooking time. As soon as the rice is cooked add sugar, coconut milk and cook it for another 15 minutes. Serve with extra coconut milk and some caramelised pineapple.

1 comment:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delightful dessert! I love black rice. It is so unique.

Cheers,

Rosa

Related Posts with Thumbnails