Pages

February 24, 2012

White Poppy Seed Crusted Zander with Yellow Beetroot Puree, Mace-Orange Scented Yellow Beet, Beetroot Foam , Chioggia Beet Chips, Sea-Buckthorn Gel, Nutmeg Oil and Oyster Mushroom

What a coincidence! Yesterday, I was wondering how would it be possible to get a bigger amount of white poppy seeds. Some years ago I bought a small package in a store, I guess I haven't used it since then. However, my plan is to prepare the poppy seed mousse again, but this time white. Today morning I recieved a package from a Robert, who by the way writes the amazing blog myBites. And guess what was in the package?! Yep, right! Among other exiciting ingredients, like nutmeg oil, a big portion of white poppy seeds. What a surprise!  Meanwhile I do not even know what else I could have cooked, because it was such a perfect harmony on the plate! Each bite was like a melody and they came together to a song. The white poppy is much less intense then the black or the blue. Therefore it was really great together with the fish and beets. My newest discovery that I am absolutely passionate about is sea-buckthorn. Unfortunately, I could get only in form of syrup, but I am more than happy about it. I used some to caramelise the yellow beet slices, that were scented by mace and that way the nutmeg oil has just made perfect sense. Chioggia beet is so sweet and its beautiful pattern is visiable at its best when it is prepared as chips or served raw. The beet foam would have looked a lot more exicting if I would finally give in and use lecithin, but somehow I just do not want to use powders in my kitchen. However, it is really tempting, so I might reconsider it.



Ingredients:
4 zander fillets

4-5 tablespoons white poppy seeds
olive oil for frying
1 teaspoon butter
salt pepper

for the yellow beet puree:
1 shallot
1 teaspoon butter
100 g yellow beet (peeled and diced)
200 ml orange juice
2 cardamom

some cumin seeds
piece of long pepper
5-6 tablespoons rapeseed oil
salt
for the sea-buckthorn gel:
100 ml orange juice
5-6 tablespoons sea-buckthorn syrup
1 1/2 teáskanál zselatina
for the beet foam:

70 ml beet juice
50 ml fish stock
25 ml vermouth
3 tablespoons milk
salt, pepper

and these you need also:
1 Chioggia beet
sunflower oil
1 yellow beet
juice of 1 orange
1 tablespoons sea-buckthorn syrup
mace
1 teaspoon cold water
nutmeg oil
oyster mushroom
thyme
salt, pepper



For the puree sautee chopped shallot in butter, add diced beet, spices and orange juice and cook it over low heat until soft. Once it is cooked remove spices and puree with rapeseed oil, season with salt. For the sea-buckthorn gel warm orange juice with the szirup then stir in the gelatine and chill for a few hours. Pulse in a mixer before serving. For th foam bring fish stock and vermouth to the boil and reduce by half, then add beet juice and season. Add milk before serving and foam with a mixer. Cook sliced yellow beat in orange juice with mace and when there is almost no liquid left add sea-buckthorn and butter and let it caramelise. Season fish with salt and sear in oil, then add butter. Remove from the pan and coat with white poppy seeds. Fry oyster mushroom in butter, season with thyme, salt and pepper.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails