Pages

February 27, 2009

Chicken Broth

Some chicken wings were hanging around in my fridge, and as I was almost out of chicken stock I decided to cook a new portion. As most of the time when I cook stock the lunch is risotto. I wanted something simple so I decided for a classical risotto. A classical risotto contains a good quality chicken broth, butter, onion, risotto rice, white wine and the most important part is the mantecatura: the cold butter and the parmesan. I have never added the butter cold to any risotto I cooked before, until now. I bet that made the difference!...and that I followed Locatelli's description. After I tried, it felt like I had first time risotto in my life. It was the typical wow effect, if you know what I mean. It's definitely worth to sink in the lines in Locatelli's book about risotto! Anyway it was the best risotto, that has ever left my kitchen, maybe except the one with porcini, but that is unfair because porcini are invincible, at least to me.


Ingredients:
500 g chicken wings or bones
1/2 tablespoon tomato puree
3 carrots

1 onion
2-3 celery stalks
3 parsley root

1 bay leaf
3 black peppercorns
2 juniper berry

Heat oven to 220°C and roast chicken wings until golden brown. Smear tomato puree on it and roast for another 3-4 minutes.


Add chicken and vegetables in a big pot together with 3-4 liter of water. On low heat bring it just under the boiling point and let it simmer for 3-4 hours.

1 comment:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wonderful and tasty!

cheers,

Rosa

Related Posts with Thumbnails