Pages

January 13, 2011

Beet Gnocchi

Well, I've planned to make gnocchi, from a part of the beets, already for a week. Today, in one of my favourite blog, I discovered a way to bake beets in a coffee-salt crust, so it was no question, that I am going to bake the beets that way. My plan was anyway to use baked beets for the gnocchi and the coffee made me very curious, so I switched on the oven immediately. I discovered a pack of goat cream cheese in the fridge, so it was clear that I am going to add it to the gnocchi. After all beet and goat cheese are a great match, no matter if they are in a salad, a risotto or a mousse. And this time again: they were just the perfect combination together with brown butter, poppy seeds and some pomegranate seeds.



Ingredients:

100 g beetroot (peeled quantity)
80 g goat cream cheese
1 egg
150 g flour
salt, pepper


Bake beets on 200°C for 90 minutes in a coffee-salt crust (mix 600 g corse salt with 100 g ground coffee and 4 egg whites). Peel and puree baked beets. Mix it together with the cream cheese, egg and flour. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour mixture into a plastic bag or a piping bag. Bring salted water to boil, reduce hit so that it simmers. Pipe gnocchi in the simmering water and as soon as they swim on top they are ready to be served. Melt butter and cook it until it browns, add poppy seeds and stir in the gnocchi and serve.

2 comments:

Faith said...

That salt/coffee crust sounds like a great way to prepare beets...I'd love to try it! Your gnocchi looks fantastic!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

So lovely! That salt and coffee crust sound interesting...

Cheers,

Rosa

Related Posts with Thumbnails