Pages

September 28, 2010

Fresh goat cheese mousse

Ziger is a fresh white cheese made by reprocessing the whey drained from cheeses. It is similar to fresh ricotta, however it has a different texture and taste. It is a real good alternative to Urda, a Transylvanian cheese, that has such a wonderful and unique taste. The farmer, where I buy potatoes, eggs and berries, keeps goats, and produces different types of cheeses. Once I asked if she could make some fresh goat cheese for me, she did and it was gorgeous, however the next time it didn't work out. Therefore she told me that she can get me some ziger right from the Alps, of course I couldn't say no! My freezer is now full with Hungarian túró and ziger.


This goat cheese is absolutely fabulous with tomaotes and a slice of bread, nothing else is needed. However, except my mom and me, nobody else eats it that way in my family, so I decided to preapre a mousse in order to convince the rest of them. I didn't want to hide the taste of the cheese, therefore I only used some lemon zest to flavour it, however feel free to add some herbs or other spice
s. It is served among raw beetroot and a raspberry vinaigrette.


Ingredients:

200 g fresh goat cheese
80 ml milk
2 sheets of gelatine
zest of 1 lemon
100 ml cream
salt, pepper


Soak gelatine in cold water. If you want to add some fresh herbs, then puree it together with the milk, if not then simply whisk the milk together with the goat cheese. If you want it to be really smooth, press the cheese through a sieve before mixing it.
Season with salt, pepper and lemon zest. Over low heat melt the wet gelatine, then mix it with the goat cheese. Leave it in the fridge for 20 minutes. Beat cream and fold it carefully into the goat cheese cream. Leave it in the fridge for at least 6 hours, but better over night.

4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is one beautiful mousse! Your presentation is great.

Cheers,

Rosa

Vera said...

Látom csak úgy gyártod a recepteket. Ég a kezedben a fakanál :))))

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful! I'll bet it tasted as good as it looks too

chriesi said...

@Rosa: Thank you! I am glad you like it!

@Édes és Keserű: Nem győzőm felrakni. Már szénné égett! :D

@Sue: Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails