Pages

October 31, 2011

Tomato Cheesecake with Basil-Pine Nut Crumble

Well, I guess it is time to say goodbye to this year's tomato season. Last weekend I bought a few pounds from a local farmer and I preared a portion of roasted tomato sauce that went right into the freezer. That will help to survive those cold winter days! The other plan was to make a savoury tomato pie with some goat cheese for lunch, but instead I've ended up baking this cheesecake for dessert. The bright green of the pastry comes from pureed spinach, that I needed to refill my chlorophyll reserves, and as I did not want to throw away the puree, I decided to knead it into the pastry. No worries, you do not taste the spinach, so go for it!





Ingredients: 
250 g flour
125 g butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons pureed spinach
300 g tomato
2 tablespoon sugar
250 g cream cheese or quark
50 g sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon flour







The pastry is enough to make two 15x20 cm cakes (freeze the rest!), the filling is enough for one cake.

To make the pastry knead together flour, butter, salt, sugar egg and spinach puree, then chill until needed. For the filling bring chopped tomatoes to the boil with sugar and cook until there is almost no liquid left. Puree, mash it through a strainer and set aside. For the filling cream together the quark or cream cheese and the tomato puree, stir in vanilla extract, sugar (add more if desired), eggs and flour. Roll out half of the dough and cover the baking form, then pour the cream cheese mixture in it and bake for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven on 180°C. For the crumble mix together about a tablespoons pine nuts, 3-4 tablespoons flour, a tablespoon butter and sugar and chopped basil as desired. Crumble it onto a baking sheet and bake until golden brown. Simply crumble it on top of the chilled cake when serving.

9 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very original and surely extremely tasty!

Cheers,

Rosa

Unknown said...

Very interesting and pretty unusual color for a cake! At least I can't really call it a pizza ;) I love the idea of combining a salty cheese cake with the freshly prepared tomato puree. Great recipe!

chriesi said...

@Rosa:Thanks! ;) It is indeed very tasty, especially chilled.

@Beatbull: Well, it is far from being a pizza. By the way, it is not salty, but a sweet tomato cheesecake. :)

Anonymous said...

love savory cheesecakes!

Pauline said...

Oh my gosh! What a novel idea! A savory cheesecake using tomato and spinach! Makes me feel healthy and decadent at the same time!!!! I sooo want to try this. I love the oddly green crust too, haha.

Bookmarked!!! Thank you so much!

chriesi said...

@Jesica and Pauline: This is a sweet cheescake! :)) Not savoury, but you can easily turn it into a salty snack! I admit, that tomato, basil and spinach are confusing, but if you read the recipe you see clearly that it is "light" dessert. ;)

Purabi Naha said...

Super-yummy! The dish looks beautiful and I really loved the combination of the unique ingredients in the recipe.
http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

Lily said...

wow, this sounds great!!! i would love to try it sometime


lily
www.ieat19meals.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...


I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world had crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could live a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from church to church but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could sever, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure for Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua herbal treatment (A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com WhatsApp: +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219.

Related Posts with Thumbnails