Pages

February 14, 2012

Potato-Buckwheat Buns

After the success of the dried tomato bread from last week, I felt like experimenting with something new. As I still remember the taste of those spicy buckwheat buns from the holiday season, I thought why shouldn't I bake some buns! So I grabbed the bag of buckwheat flour and started to think about the rest. I decided to use the leftover boiled potatoes from yesterday, so I grated those quickly. I managed to get together the rest of the ingredients and I was inpatiently waiting for the dough to rise. I must say that these buns turned out great and were perfect with butter, 15 months old cheddar and homemade mandarin jam.



Ingredients:
130 g all purpose flour
170 g buckwheat flour
200 g boiled potatoes (peeled)
25 g fresh yeast
180 ml kefir or yoghurt
1 pinch of sugar
5 g salt
milk for brushing
polenta

Cook potatoes the day before and press it through a potato ricer or grate finely. Sieve flour and make a mold into the middle. Crumble fresh yeast into the mold, sprinkle sugar over it. Add salt, grated potato, kefir and knead a dough. Let it rest for an hour or until it has doubled its size. The dough will be pretty soft so flour a surface rather well and form a roll. Cut roll in equal pieces and put them into paper baking forms. Brush top of the buns with milk and sprinkle polenta on top. Pour water into the preheated oven and bake buns for 25-30 minutes over 200°C.


2 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those are awesome! You are a great baker. :-)

Cheers,

Rosa

A Roving Munch said...

Yay! Another buckwheat recipe. These do sound good...but, could someone clarify what is meant by "pour water into the preheated oven and bake..."? Do I put a pan on the bottom so that the buns steam? How much water?

Related Posts with Thumbnails