Pages

March 1, 2012

Cream of Mushroom Soup with Parsley Root Foam and Crispy Oat Flake Balls

For a very long time I really could not even think of using frozen mushroom, I just was not convinced enough, and could not imagine that it actually can be good. After discussing about frozen mushrooms with some fellow foodies, I decided to give it a try. Why should one use frozen mushrooms, after all so many different kinds of fresh ones are available throughout the year. Well, in my area it is absolutely impossible to get wild mushrooms, whether fresh or dried, but at least some types you can get frozen. And wild mushrooms are just absolutely amazing, and if frozen is the only way to get them, well, then I do. And so good, that finally I gave in! Since today morning I could not get the charactheristic taste of cep and the slight sweetness of parsley root out of my mind, so I had to get them together in one dish! I think the parsley root foam goes perfectly well with the soup and the crispy oat flake balls bring the missing excitement. The idea which is by the way so simple, yet ingenious is adapted from Nils Henkel. Basically it is nothing else, but deep fried hardend fat coated with breadcrumbs or anything like that. The inside of the balls simply melt away while frying and you end up with empty and crispy balls. Perfect instead of the traditional croûtons in soups or with salad.

Ingredients:
for the soup:
300 g mixed mushrooms
10 g dried cep
1 tablespoon butter

1 shallot
500 ml veal stock
1 twig thyme

2 tablespoons crème fraîche
few drops of lemon juice
salt, pepper
for the parsley root foam:
20 g butter
1 shallot

50 ml white wine
2 large parsley roots
200 ml vegetable stock
50 ml cream
salt, pepper
you'll need these also:

coconut fat
flour
egg white
oat flakes and breadcrumbs



For the soup sautee chopped shallot, add diced mushrooms, soaked cep and thyme twig. In case you use frozen muhsrooms, sautee it over low heat until all the water has absorbed. Then add veal stock, cep water and cook for 15-20 minutes, then remove the thyme twig and puree with crème fraîche. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. For the parsley foam melt butter and sautee onion, add white wine and reduce. Then add sliced parsley root and cook in the stock until soft. Sieve (do not through it away, you can either prepare a soup or a puree), add cream, season and foam it with mixer right before serving. To make the crispy oat flake balls dice coconut fat in equal pieces, then freeze for 15-20 minutes. After dust in flour, then roll in egg white and then in the oat flake-breadcrumb mixture and freeze again. Deep fry in 170°C hot oil.


4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm sure this soup tastes really refined and divine! I've never bought frozen mushroom, but I'd give them a try...

Cheers,

Rosa

chriesi said...

Wild mushrooms are unbeatable!

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

I always come here for inspiration...and I always find it! This is gorgeously plated food!

chriesi said...

I am really happy to read that! Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails