Pages

December 15, 2010

Cod poached in red and port wine

This year I am not going to bake Christmas cookies, probably on the honey cookies and the beigli is going to be baked. Of course there will be other sweets during the holidays, like a chocolaty cake with toasted hazelnut, a couple of ice cream and other treats, but no cookies. The reason is pretty simply, the whole family likes beigli and the honey cookies most, and rest is usually left in the pantry until end of January. Besides, I am a lot behind with the preparations, because I had a tiny accident and broke my small toe and therefore I could not stand in the kitchen, and still can not. But today I had enough and no matter what I decided to cook something, as I miss it so much. I wanted to use holiday spices in my lunch, so I had the idea of poaching a nice fillet of cod in red wine. I also found a beautiful radicchio and some fresh porcini in the fridge.


As far as the porcini is concerned, well it ended up in a puree, without cream but with porcini liquid, as I also added some dried poricini to the puree. Besides I saved some of the liquid and cooked a mushroom sauce with veal stock. The whole thing was served among balsamic vinegar flavoured black lentil and some sauteed radicchio with parma ham.



Ingredients:
500 ml port wine
300 ml red wine
1 staranise
2 pods brown cardamom
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
1/4 stick cinnamon

Put all the ingredients into a pot big enough for the fish fillets. Let the liquid simmer over low heat for about half an hour until it is reduced by a quarter. Place fish fillets into the poaching liquid, that should be barley simmering and let the fish poach for 6-8 minutes. At the end feel free the reduce the poaching liquid and bind it with some cold butter, season and there you got your sauce.

2 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A terrific dish! Mmmhhh, I'm drooling...

Cheers,

Rosa

Faith said...

Sorry to hear about your toe, hope you're feeling better! I love the idea of using holiday spices in lunch -- this looks fantastic!

Related Posts with Thumbnails