Pages

December 2, 2010

Soupe à l'Oignon

Well, certainly, I did not believe that the day is going to arrive, when I cook an onion soup. Not that it would be such a big deal, but since my childhood I can't stand cooked onion. In the past only a tiny piece of cooked onion in a dish, and it was over, I could not eat a single bite of it. Therefore my mom often had to prepare my part separetly, because in some way, I have always managed to find every single onion piece. Meanwhile this has changed, because I cook everything with grated onions, and I even learnt to love sauteed leek or oven fried onion slices on top of tarte flambée. But an onion soup?! That is something completly different! And today, I took a big step forward! On the other side I am totally mad about fresh onions! There is nothing tastier than a fresh slice of bread with duck lard and fresh onion! That is unbeatable!

Besides I am a complete onion freak. My absolute favourite one is the beautiful
Rosé de Roscoff, I often call it the Parma ham of the onions. Nothing can be compared to it! Though the Italian Tropea is also a hit, but will always remain the second best on my list.


Now, back to the soup! So today, I have finally cooked my first onion soup, that is originally comes from Lyon, though the Parisians still argue about this. The soup is usually prepared with roux, but some cook it without, and you can also add spices like thyme or bay leaf, it is up to you, however one thing is absolutely essential. If the onions are not caramlised properly or you feel you do not have hours to do so, well then forget it. No need to add sugar, just let the low heat and patience to do job.


This week not only cooked onion won the fight, but I also took some steps forward in baking bread. A friend of mine, who by the way has a gorgeous blog, Vera gave me a baking lesson, so the ice seem to melt in this regard as well. It was no question that the soup is going to be topped with the bread we baked together on Tuesday.



Ingredients:
500 g onion
70 g butter
1 tablespoon flour
50 ml white wine
1000 ml chicken stock or leftover meat broth
salt, pepper

Slice peeled onions thinly and melt butter in a pot. Soften onion in butter over low to medium heat. Be sure that the onion is well covered with the butter. Stir once in a while and add some salt as well. This process may take a few hours, but that is definitely worth it, because after all the caramelised onion is the heart of this soup. You can also add some spices or herbs like bay leaf or time, personally, I think it is not necessary at all. As soon as the onion is well caramelised pour white wine over it and reduce. Add flour, stir and pour stock or broth over it and simmer for 50-60 minutes over low heat. Season at the end with cognac or port wine and serve with toasted slices of bread with cheese such as
Comté or Gruyère. Simply top the soup with the cheese sprinkled bread slices and leave the rest of the work to your oven grill.

8 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm sure ot was delicious! I love cooked onions...

Cheers,

Rosa

Faith said...

My absolute favorite soup! It looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

nun bin ich gwunderig, ob ich die Rosé de Roscoff finde. Leider sind bei uns Zwiebeln meist einfach Zwiebeln.

kitchen roach/galley roach said...

es ist die zeit fuer Zwiebelsuppe, thanks for the reminder!

chriesi said...

@Rosa: Indeed it was! I just loved it!

@Faith: Thanks. :) It is going to be also one of my favourite for sure.

@lamicucina: Ich ha sie i de Schwiiz no niened gseh, leider. :(

@kitchen roach: so ist es! :)

Houdini said...

It's great you converted to a cooked onion lover. I love them more cooked than raw.

The attitude of one of our sons was exactly as yours years ago, every tiny bit was pinched out, or the dish even refused, and he still now is not an onion aficionado.

test it comm said...

That onion soup looks amazing!

chriesi said...

@Houdini: At least as far as the soup is concerend! ;) I understand your son perfectly!

@Kevin: Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails