Pages

June 8, 2011

Sheep's Milk Quark Stuffed Lángos

A few years ago I have already posted about the Hungarian Lángos, that is a deep fried flat bread made of a potato-based dough. Though then, I have shared a recipe without potato in the dough. However, meanwhile I enjoy the potato version a whole lot more. So it is time to post about it! It is just so different and absolutely addictive. Now, I am here with another version, that I did not like at all in my young years. Therefore, I've decided to give it another go and I must say, it was love at first bite! I am talking about my mom's favourite lángos, that is stuffed with sheep's milk quark, spring onions and fresh dill. Yummy! If you do not have the opportunity to get the mentioned quark, use goat's milk quark instead, but then add some salt to the mixture. Of course the possibilities are endless, you can stuff the dough with anything you desire, but if you enjoy sheep's and goat's milk products you should give this a try!

Ingredients:
400 g flour
30 g fresh yeast
2 medium sized potatoes
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
5 g salt
300 ml lukewarm milk
pinch of sugar
oil for frying
300 g sheep's milk quark
bunch of dill
bunch of spring onion


For the filling mix together quark with chopped spring onion and dill. Dissolve yeast in 100 ml lukewarm milk together with a pinch of sugar and let it stand until the yeast swimms on top. Make a mold into the flour and pour the milk-yeast mixture into it. Press boiled potatoes through a strainer and stir it into the flour mixture. Knead a soft dough and add oil and salt while kneading. Sprinkle the top with flour and let it stand for 1 hour or until it doubles its size. Cut dough in equal pieces, roll out and place 1-2 tablespoons onto the middle, then cover the filling with the leftover dough from the sides and roll out the dough again. Fry the flatbreads in hot oil.

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a wonderful speciality! Hungarian food is so underrated.

Cheers,

Rosa

Eline said...

Langos are a mistreaten species here in Austria. They are only offered as cheap, greasy and garlic-stinking junk food at funfairs. So I never ate one langos in my long life. But I can get all ingredients (even "Schaftstopfen") and I am sure that I will like your kind of langos very much. The recipe reminds on all the oriental and mediterranian fresh cheese stuffed baked Pittas. In the north of India there is a similar stuffed fried bread made of ryeflour and the cowcheese Paneer.

chriesi said...

@Rosa: Lángos is really a great treat, I love it even with jam. :)

@Eline: Even in Hungary it is difficult to find a lángos that is not oily and hard. You are lucky, so far I haven't seen sheep's milk quark in my region.

Related Posts with Thumbnails