Pages

March 16, 2009

Black Salsify Flan

I was wondering what to do with the leftover serpent root or viper's herb or simply black salsify, yeah I am fond of snakes, they are beautiful animals, that was hiding in the fridge. First I had the idea of a soufflé, but at the end I put my vote for a flan, as I have never baked a flan before, so I thought that is the opportunity. Listening to a crazy voice in my head, I served some crème fraîche among the flan, that I mixed with dijon mustard, ground hazelnut, lemon zest and juice.


Ingredients:
250 g salsify
1 shallot
2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon apple vinegar
350 ml vegetable broth
1 egg
1/2 egg yolk
2 tablespoon heavy cream

salt, pepper


Peel salsify under running water using gloves. Heat butter, add chopped shallot and sliced salisfy and fry for 2-3 minutes. Pour apple vinegar, vegetable broth over salsify and cook on low heat until soft. Puree, stir in egg, egg yolk and heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper. Butter 4 oven proof forms and pour mixture in it. Place forms in another form with water so that they are covered it half. Bake for 30 minutes on 150°C.

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A wonderful flan! Very original!

I just wanted to know something... Where did you get that Daring Baker banner (Lady whisk)? I found nothing on the official site... Thanks!

Cheers,

Rosa

chriesi said...

Thanks! I answered your question through the Daring Kitchen.

Anonymous said...

schöne Idee, sie als flan zu machen. Ich mache sie meist wie Spargeln.

Maggie said...

This is so creative! Why do you peel it under running water?

chriesi said...

Because the root sap is very sticky. If one does not use it immediately after beeing peeled, one has to put it either in milk, or water with vinegar or lemon juice to prevent discolouring.

Related Posts with Thumbnails