Pages

March 5, 2009

Serrano coated cod with black salsify


Pacific cod caught by trawl or Atlantic cod



Pacific cod caught by longline


When I cooked the savoy cabbage stew, I put some outer leaves aside, because one never
knows. Right? I had no concrete idea what I should prepare for lunch, but I knew that I want to roll fish in those intense green leaves. Of course it would have been too boring, so I added a slice of serrano ham as well. I served it with beluga lentil, cooked the same way like in the 7 course dinner, but without the vegetable brunoise and the cranberries. For the vegetable part I chose black salsify, also called serpent root or viper's grass, and carrots.


Ingredients:
2-3 salsify roots
1 bay leaf

1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon butter
50 ml white wine

100 ml vegetable stock
100 ml chicken stock

50 ml heavy cream
salt, pepper

2 carrots
1 teaspoon butter

1/2 teaspoon cane sugar
juice of 1 orange



As far as the fish concerned, simply season with salt and pepper and lemon juice. Heat butter and fry in a frying pan, together with sage, from both sides. Remove and roll it into the ham and the blanched savoy cabbage leaf. Place it in the oven on 150°C and cook for 5-8 minutes, depending on the size of the fish. Peel salsify root and cut in chunks (use gloves!) and set aside in milk until you are ready to use. Peel carrot and cook in salted water, set aside. Heat butter, add salsify chunks, bay leaf and garlic clove and stew for 1-2 minutes. Pour white wine over it and reduce, add stock and cook salsify, add 50 ml heavy cream, season with salt and pepper. Heat butter, add cane sugar and carrots, caramelize and pour orange juice over it, reduce and serve.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, I'm Silas John, I ran into your blog, and attempted your recipes,and discovered them to be easier than I thought. My brother, my son, my daughter, and myself really enjoyed your recipes. Jerry Lee, my brother, was extremely surprised when I cooked something that wasn't bordering inedible. Thank you so much for your posts.

chriesi said...

Hi John! I am glad you and your family enjoyed some of my recipes! Thanks for dropping by and happy cooking!

Related Posts with Thumbnails