Pages

January 19, 2010

Bread and butter pudding

Almost for about 2 years or so, that this old-fashined, traditional British dessert has been on my to cook list. Finally, it found its way to my oven and was served this afternoon! It is often seasoned with cinnamon or nutmeg. I decided to flavour it with vanilla and a tiny bit of rum. It also contains raisins, and probably it is not the real thing without, but I left them out, because I just do not really like dried grapes. The next time I am going to bake it flavoured with orange.



Ingredients:
5-6 slices of white bread
25 g butter

2 tablespoon apricot jam
1 egg
1 egg yolk

25 g sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
150 ml milk
150 ml cream

dash of rum


Butter a form, then spread some apricot jam on the bottom. Put the buttered slices of bread into the form. Whisk egg and egg yolk with sugar until creamy, add vanilla paste, milk, cream and rum, whisk and pour it over the bread slices. Let it soak for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 180°C and bake the pudding in a bain marie for 20-30 minutes. When ready brush it with marmalde and let it stand for 15 minutes before serving.

5 comments:

Manggy said...

Claire Clark has a version in her book that uses orange marmalade and it looks divine. Yours also looks fantasic! :)

Houdini said...

Sounds great, didn't know it, I am not that British. Much butter and sugar for my taste, I guess, rather simple to prepare, perhaps worth a try.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

It looks irresistible! That is something I really love!

Cheers,

Rosa

Marysol said...

The only thing wrong with this bread pudding is that it's not in front of me.

Raindrop said...

Ez de csodás!
Percek óta nézem. :D
Az ízére gondolni se merek!

Related Posts with Thumbnails