Pages

January 22, 2010

Fennel Soup

In the bottom of the fridge there were some fennel bulbs hiding. I bought them at the end of December, so I was very surprised that they are still good. I had the idea of a soup, that I didn't want to serve plain. Therefore I prepared a chervil-parsley pesto using almonds. I didn't add cheese, because I thought that wouldn't fit the fennel. I confess, I am not so much a fennel lover, but this soup was amazing. Light, and a decent touch of anise. To give something extra for fennel lovers I fried some cubed fennel and served among the soup.


Ingredients:
2 tablespoon olive oil
3 fennel bulbs
1 potato
1 celery stalk
1 garlic clove
750 ml vegetable or chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

1 bay leaf
salt, pepper


Slice peeled potato, fennel, celery and garlic in thin slices. Heat olive oil and stew vegetables for about 5 minutes, until it gets soft, but do not let it brown. Add stock, coriander, bay leaf and cook for 40 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and blend it in a mixer, season and serve with fried cubes of fennel.

4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A very flavorful soup!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

I've made so many things with fennel, but not a soup yet..how can that be, when it look so delicious!
ronelle

Houdini said...

The sooup looks nice, and I love fennel, i.e good for me. And you did your almond pesto agauin, I should try it, too.

Anonymous said...

This must be so flavorful! I never had a soup made out of fennels.

Related Posts with Thumbnails