Pages

May 3, 2011

Zucchini Blossoms and Goat Cheese

My greengrocer told me, that they have just planted the first zucchinis outside, and that soon the first bunch of fennel is going to be availbe. I was thrilled, already fennel? That's absolutely awesome! I miss fennel a lot, especially, when I am making fish stock. Anyway, while talking about the vegetables my eyes spotted zucchini blossoms, and altough they come from a greenhouse, I could not leave them there. It was already the second time this year that I prepared some, every time stuffed with goat cheese. By the way, I get the goat cheese from a local producer and meanwhile I even know them by names. It is an another question that one of the goats has ended up on our plate during Easter. Anyway, I preapred the good old fresh goat cheese mousse to serve it together with the stuffed blossoms and pesto. Usually, one removes the pistils, so did I, but I was curious so I tried one. To me it has a very very slight hot touch and an intense zucchini taste, so why through it away? As far as the consistency is concerned it is kind of swam like. I decided to marinte them with lemon juice and olive oil. The blossoms were stuffed with goat cheese, roasted pine nuts, chervil and a tiny bit of basil. However, this time I have removed the tiny zucchini at the bottom of the blossoms and fried them sliced thin in some olive oil.


Ingredients:
8 zucchini blossom
200 g flour
5 g baking powder
350 ml mineral water
1 teaspoon tumeric powder

For the batter whisk together the flour, baking powder, tumeric powder and a good pinch of salt with the mineral water. Dip the stuffed blossoms into the batter and bake them in 180°C hot oil.


4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I also love fennel. That dish is beautiful. I really have to cook with zuicchini blossoms...

Cheers,

Rosa

Ellie said...

I have such a hard time finding fresh zucchini blossoms. Sounds so simple and delishious!! I too love fennel, roasted with some prosciutto and parmigiano-Reggiano, yum :)

Faith said...

I can't wait until zucchini is in season here so I can cook with the blossoms...this is gorgeous!

chriesi said...

@Rosa: Yeah, try them, they are delicious!

@Ellie: It also took me years to find someone who sells them. Mmm that fennel with prosciutto and parmesan sounds fab!

@Faith: Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails