Pages

May 1, 2008

Lamingtons

As a child I was convinced that kókuszkocka (coconut cubes) are Hungarian, because you could find it everywhere, such as school feasts, coffee shops and so on. Later they were completly forgetten for me. Since I am reading food blogs I found out that they are actually called Lamingtons and come from Australia named after Charles Cochrane-Baillie, 2nd Baron Lamington. Today I prepared them for the very first time, using my mom's recepie. I love them, but for sure have not eaten for about 10 years or more.


Ingredients:
3 tabelspoon honey
30 g butter
200 g powder sugar

1 egg
1 pinch of salt
350 g flour

7 g baking powder
300 ml milk
For the icing:
150 g butter

200 g sugar
8 tablespoon milk
30 g cocoa powder
200 g coconut flakes

Whisk honey, butter, powder sugar, egg, salt together. Add flour, baking powder and milk.
Butter and flour a large baking form and bake for 15-20 minutes on 200°C. Let it cool, slice in cubes. Melt butter, add sugar, cocoa, milk. With a help of tooth pich cover lamingtons with the icing and roll in coconut flakes.

7 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

Wow, nice photos! Looks like they were purchased in a candy store!

Marye said...

Beautifully done!
marye
bakingdelights.com

Chibog in Chief said...

although i grew up in a place where there are plenty of coconut i have never tasted lamingtons..;they look great and i cant wait to try your recipe :-)

Lore said...

:)) Hihi and I was convinced there were a Romanian concotion. Well now I know. I make them pretty often as my hubbie is so in awe of them.

Lore said...

Forgot to say they look really good :)

Melita said...

You know we make them in former Yugo, and we call them "Chupavci", which basically means "hairy things" :)))
Everyone's favorite. Lately, beforeI dip them in chocolate, and coconut flakes, I cut them in half, and stuff them with a teaspoonful of vanilla pudding (Dr. Oetker). People love it when they bite into it, and get surprised with pudding, yummy! Try it!
Thanks for stopping by today!

Amy J. said...

Oh my goodness! I bet those are great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails