Pages

May 2, 2008

Sage Involtini - Weekend Herb Blogging

Sage is used all over the world, but traditionally it is an important herb in the Mediterranean countries of Europe. Common sage (Salvia officinalis) is a small evergreen subshrub, with woody stems, grayish leaves, and blue to purplish flowers. It is commonly found growing wild on hillsides and grassland on chalk in warm regions. Sage has become a popular herb garden shrub. The best culinary sages are the plain narrow-leafed and non-flowering broad-leaved types, however you can find gold or variegated types as well. Sage should be grown in well-drained, rich soil, in full sun and with shelter from cold winds. Cuttings should be taken in spring and summer. Its Latin name: salvia, means “to heal", if you want to find out more about its medicinal use click here.


For me sage was not a part of my herb garden for quite a long time, as I thought it is much too intense for me, however meanwhile I use it regualry and quite often, just like last Sunday.
Today's lunch is actually sort of an inverse version of a dish that I prepared weeks ago, but somewhat it is compelty different. Broccoli with pecorino and hazelnut, well I think it is great match!
Ingredients:
1 pork tenderloin
salt, pepper
sage leaves
150 g Black Forest ham

butter
cognac
3-4 potatoes
olive oil
salt

1 broccoli
50 g pecorino

30 g grated hazelnut
flour
1 egg

oil
3 chunks herb butter
1 shallot
100 ml cognac
100 ml stock

30 ml heavy cream
fresh green peppercorns

Slice pork so that you get long slices, salt, pepper. Put 2-3 sage leaves on each, a slice of ham and roll it up. Use a toothpick to keep the rolls together. Fry in butter, add cognac and cover for 10 minutes on low heat. Peel potato, slice in small cubes and fry in olive oil. At the end I mixed the potatos with the juice left in the saucepan from the fried meat. For the sauce heat butter, add shallot, cognac and stock. Reduce, sieve add heavy cream and cook it until boiling, add peppercorns.

Slice broccoli roses and cook in stock. Slice by slice roll in flour, egg and pecorino-hazelnut mixture, after fry in oil.



This is my entry for the Weekend Herb Blogging hosted by Food Lover's Journey.

4 comments:

food makes me happy said...

Looks very yummy!

Ellie @ Kitchen Wench said...

That looks sensational! Involtini is one of those dishes on my 'to try' list, and I love the sound of your version :)

Amy J. said...

Wow, that looks SO yummy!

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds delicious! I am a big fan of sage and have two types in my garden. Love to use it with pork too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails