Pages

May 28, 2008

Daring Bakers: Orange, Elderberry White Chocolate Opera

This month's challenge is hosted by the founders Lia from La Mia Cucina and Ivonne from Cream Puffs in Venice, co-hosted by Shea from Whiskful and Fran from Apples Peaches Pumpkin Pie. The challenge is Opera cake, but not the traditional with coffee and dark chocolate, but any ingredients that are light-coloured and makes us feel the spring. As it was my birthday cake I deciced to decorate it with my favourite flower the lilac, as these are edible. For the flavouring I used orange and elderberry. My first DB Challenge was the Party Cake and there I screwed up the buttercream. This time it was really good and I loved its orange flavour. However as my baking form was too big the cream was almost not enough, I should have doubled it. I still have problems with white chocolate so the glaze was not nice at all and the joconde got also too brown. Do not forget to check out all those great daring bakers out there! The Double DB is also completed: croissants.

26 comments:

Chibog in Chief said...

your opera is gorgeous!! i love the idea of using elderberry.;really really lovely!!

Deeba PAB said...

You get a STANDING OVATION for this Chreisi...it's bee-uuuuu-tiful!! I love the flavours you used & the flowers too! Happy belated birthday too my dear...*hugs*

Shelby said...

Nice! Very pretty!

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

wow... what a great flavor combination... I want to try it... you got me intrigued! Lovely flowers on top too!

Dana McCauley said...

Don't admit to having troubles - no one will notice since your cake is lovely!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

What a beautifully decorated cake? And a very Happy Birthday, though belated.

Mary said...

OH your cake is gorgeous! I had no idea lilacs were edible!

Amy J. said...

Oh, wow, you did such a beautiful job! I absolutely LOVE the flowers. I'm sure it tasted as good as it looks, too.

:)~

Anonymous said...

Love your choice of flavors and the use of flowers to decorate your cake! Great job!

test it comm said...

Nice looking cake! I have been wanting to try Elderberries for a while now.

Gabi said...

So beautiful Chriesi! I looove the Elderberry and lilacs- gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful presentation you have for the cake!

Mehgan said...

Oh, how creative! I'll definitely have to try elderberries now.

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

wow, this is off the chart! What an exellent combination of flavors. You get a gold star!!

Lisa T. said...

Your cake is stunning - the flowers are so lovely and elegant.

Marija said...

WOW WOW WOW! Elderberry! Great job!
And bravo for puff pastry and croissants!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Love the flowers. Beautiful!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Barbara said...

I love the way you topped the cake, it's beautiful! And tasty, I'm sure.

Unknown said...

Looks great to me! I didnt notice it being to browned...and your white chocolate glaze certainly looks like it worked better than mine did.

The Cooking Ninja said...

wow! Another gorgeous opera :)

Happy Belated Birthday!

chriesi said...

Thank you to all. :)

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Lilacs! How gorgeous. An excellent birthday cake.

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

KJ said...

What a great flavour combination. I would never have thought of using elderberry. It sound absolutely delicious.

The Irreverent Cook said...

The decorations are totally to die for, nice work!

skoraq cooks said...

Your Opera cakes looks simply fantastic. And sooooo delicious!!!

Helene said...

Gorgeous! I love the way you decorated it and your choice of flavors is brilliant?

Related Posts with Thumbnails