Pages

February 19, 2008

Saffron Risotto

The very first risotto I have made and it was love at first sight.




Ingredients:
a piece of leek
70 g butter

250 g risotto rice
200 ml white wine

700 ml bouillon

50 g freshly grated parmesan
olive oil
saffron
salt, pepper

Grate leek, or chop as you like.
Heat olive oil, add leek and rice. Mix until rice is well covered with oil.
In a separate large saucepan bring the bouillon to simmer, and keep it hot.
Add wine, increase heat to medium, and stir constantly. When the wine has been absorbed, add a little of the hot bouillon.
Add salt and pepper.
Once the stock is absorbed, add a little more; repeat this process, stirring constantly, until the rice is cooked through.
After third portion of bouillon add saffron.
To the cooked rice add some more saffron, butter and parmesan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the butter and parmesan melt.
Season with salt.

9 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

I can see why it was love at first sight - it looks so delicious!

chriesi said...

Thanks. :)

Erin said...

Very nice image! Saffron is so elegant and definitely a perfect accompaniment to risotto. I bet it was delish!

Sarah C. said...

I love the flavor of saffron. What a great way to use it. What do you serve this with?

chriesi said...

I served a light salad out of endive, radicchio and little lettuce with a dressing of red wine vinegar, walnut oil, some milk, and a bit of chopped leek. I could imagine some fish with it.

skoraq cooks said...

No wonder you fell in love with this risotto. I prepare it quite often and it soooo yummmy. Pure indulgence :-)It look beautiful.

Brilynn said...

It looks awesome! I love the process of making risotto!

Christiaan said...

Very delicious! I've made this before and, unless you are vegetarian, it adds a dimension by adding some bone marrow of calf (your butcher would have some pipes of bone with marrow left in) to the onion/leek when frying at the beginning. Then, if you like, you can chop little pieces of marrow, brush them with oil, and let them become crunchy under the grill of your oven. Served on top, they add great crunch. Wonderful blog, I enjoy reading it very much.

chriesi said...

Wow, you have picked a real old post to comment! :)) Thanks for the tips! Meanwhile I add bone marrow most of the time, when I make it, but never tried the crunchy way, thanks for the great idea! I am glad you enjoy it here at "the corner" ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails